There’s a hot technique you might want to try, it’s embossing with an embroidery machine. It takes tone-on-tone embroidery to a whole new level. In fact, 90% of the thread is invisible. But it’s the remaining 10% that really makes or breaks the design.
Here are my favorite tips for stitching machine embroidered embossed designs successfully.
- Choose a highly textured fabric like terrycloth, Minkee or a nubby fleece.
Hoop the fabric with tear-away stabilizer. I like to use Magna-Hoop Jumbo for lofty fabrics because it holds the bulky fabric firmly in the hoop and doesn’t leave hoop burn.
- Use same color thread as the fabric for the portion of the design that covers the fabric, the fill stitches.
- Select a slightly contrasting thread for the outline of the open areas, the word clean in my sample, and the frame. I think a slightly contrasting thread adds extra ‘pop’ to the plain area.
- Skip the topper. The heavy fill stitches will hold down the textured fabric plus it saves time after the embroidery process. No need to wet the fabric to remove any water soluble stabilizer.
- Remove the fabric from the hoop and tear-away the excess stabilizer. Gently brush your fingers over the open areas of the design to fluff the textured fabric.
You’ll find tons of embossed designs on the web. Here are a few sites that I found in a quick search:
I taught this technique this past weekend in Denver , CO with my Stitching Sister, Marie Zinno. We had a wonderful time with 95 passionate embroiderers. Our host, Above and Beyond Sewing, did just that – they went above and beyond everyone’s expectations.
I told all of the students that it’s not too late to enter into a highly-rewarding contest, Everyone Smiles. It’s so easy to enter, just snap a photo of yourself with a cover of Designs magazine and post it on our Facebook page. Tag it and add a caption and you’re good to go. Enter now because the prizes are huge! Click here to see all of the prizes.
Be sure to visit the Designs in Machine Embroidery Facebook page to participate in our Reader Survey!
Pingback: The Friday Blog Round-Up 10/21/11 » EnMart Embroidery Talk on October 5, 2011